The Anatomy of a Broken Girl
By Jenny Truant
beneath my breasts into a piece of squashed meat.
Three weeks ago, you kissed me
our lips tasting of cigarettes and beer,
Your hands fumbling under my costume
Your words telling me how you'd missed me
Two weeks ago, I pulled you aside
Snuck you into your own vehicle
Kissed you like our words were exploding
and you admitted you'd wanted this forever
This week you continued to flirt,
kissed my neck in public
purred into my ear
and told me you wanted to see me
And on Friday,
you poured the wine to excess
and pulled me aside
told me I was desirable
but not what you were looking for
You told me you were meant to be alone
And as I cried and focused on how broken I felt
How I'd heard this speech,
How I believed it about myself also
I realized you were lying to save me

No comments:
Post a Comment